[c-nsp] Same AS, different countries

David Luyer david at luyer.net
Wed Dec 15 18:31:51 EST 2004

To the second issue, there are a few things you can do:

1.	neighbor X.X.X.X allowas-in;
2.	set up IBGP sessions between the areas with next-hop
	rewriting (you may want to consider things like
	set ip next-hop OR update-source, NHS and static route);
	IBGP is intrinsically multihop anyway;
3.	set up a GRE tunnel between the areas and run an IGP
	(and/or IBGP) through the tunnel.

With point #3 it may even make sense to advertise in a restricted
(eg. no-export) manner some prefixes from multiple distinct
parts of the AS (if the GRE connected areas are actually connected
with good IP bandwidth and have good connectivity to some local
exchanges with peers with otherwise poor routes, for example).

However - you really shouldn't be splitting an AS if you don't
already know enough about BGP to realize the above.  It is not
something to be done without careful consideration.

David.