[c-nsp] TACACS+ and PIX

Brian Feeny signal at shreve.net
Thu Dec 16 19:23:27 EST 2004

I have not done TACACS+ with the PIX, and tried to bring up a PIX today
and was not
able to enable using TACACS+.  I am using a free TACACS+ server:

On the PIX:

aaa-server tacserver protocol tacacs+
aaa-server tacserver max-failed-attempts 3
aaa-server tacserver deadtime 10
aaa-server tacserver (outside) host x.x.x.x somekey timeout 10
aaa authentication ssh console tacserver
aaa authentication enable console tacserver

On the TACACS+ Server:

host = x.x.x.x {
          key = somekey
          type = cisco
          enable = cleartext somesecret
  }

Usernames authenticate fine.  Just enable that isn't working.  I setup
host clauses like the above on TACACS+ servers
for switches and routers all just like that, and they never have a
problem, so I was wondering if the PIX has to be setup different.
The "good" documentation on the free TACACS+ servers is pretty lacking.

Its almost like the PIX doesnt do host based enableing via TACACS+ but
wants to do username level.  If so, perhaps there is a way to set an
enable password, or a second password to a user clause?

Appreciate any help,

Brian