[c-nsp] portchannel & dcef?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Dec 17 10:37:42 EST 2004

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004, Rodney Dunn wrote:

> I'm not a L2 guy bug I did ask.  Apparently between a router and
> a switch you have no way from the switch perspective to detect
> a protocol down condition.  The router does this via the keepalive
> mechanism.

But the switches have a per-interface setting for keepalive and display it
in show int:
 Keepalive set (10 sec)

Are they saying switch FE keepalive and router FE keepalive don't play
together?

> > Dec  7 12:02:03: %TFIB-7-SCANSABORTED: TFIB scan not completing.
> > Dec  7 13:02:17: %TFIB-7-SCANSABORTED: TFIB scan not completing.
> > Dec  7 14:02:30: %TFIB-7-SCANSABORTED: TFIB scan not completing.
>
> I've seen this before but in my quick searches I don't see anything
> matching for 12.2S.  Give the CEF changes in 12.2(25)S it would
> be good to know if it exist after that.

We did a bunch of maintenance the other night including reboots/upgrades
from 122-18.S5 to 122-18.S6 and these messages are now gone.  I suspect
just the reboot would have cleared whatever was causing it...but I figured
as long as we had to reboot, might as well upgrade.

BTW...HSRP with two 7500s having a couple dozen dot1q portchannel
subinterfaes (all doing HSRP) is working fine with standby N mac-address
setting all the standby MACs on both routers to the same MAC address.  I
took an existing cisco PA-1FETX MAC, set the LAA bit, then decided to have
some fun by changing the last few bytes so it became a phrase.  We've had
a couple of HSRP switchovers between the routers, and everything worked as
designed.