[c-nsp] equivalent to 7206VXR/NPE300

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Sat Dec 18 08:58:30 EST 2004

Thanks Gert and Brian. Between the two of you, I have a better picture of
our possibilities.

Our network topology changed, so now we're getting a 5Mbps feed over
Ethernet from a local fiber provider on one end of our network, and on the
other end, we're still connected via a T1 to AT&T. The 5Mbps feed is our
primary link, the T1 is a backup only. We run OSPF inside the network, and
BGP to the upstream providers. We're injecting a default route from BGP into
OSPF. So, we're not even getting any routes (except the default) from our
upstream providers any more! A Cisco 2621 with 64MB DRAM is the border
router for the 5Mbps link; the 7206VXR is mostly sitting idle as our AT&T
border router.

Is see new Cisco 2851's run about $5000 and WIC-2T's can be picked up for
$50-$100. So, getting the cash from the 7206VXR now and then, if necessary,
springing for a 2851 (or equivalent) later on down the line if needed is
sounding like a viable solution....of course I assume the 2851 is less
versatile than the 7206VXR, but at this point, I don't foresee the need for
keeping a really flexible router on hand.

I'll have to think more about it. Thanks for the help.

--A

---
[This e-mail was scanned for viruses by Webjogger's AntiVirus Protection System]