[c-nsp] FE ignored errors

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sun Dec 19 18:10:19 EST 2004

I've recently started seeing large bursts (sometimes tens, usually
thousands) of input ignored errors on several 7500 routers FE
interfaces (rsp4, vip2-50, PA-FE-TX).  It's even happening on relatively
low traffic ones that are only doing about 1/5 line rate traffic.

I've seen Rodney's post from 11-24-04 warning not to try tuning the
buffers, and have removed all custom hold-queue settings from the config
on the least busy of the 7500s, and it's still having this problem.

We're seeing this primarily on FE internet transit connections, but also
to some degree on internal portchannel interfaces between our routers and
3550 switches that fan out to customer aggregation 3550 switches.

The feature I'm guessing could be to blame is policy routing.  Ever since
the nachi/welchia outbreak that followed blaster, I've had policy routing
setup on all our transit connections to block the 92 byte echo/echo-reply
packets nachi was famous for sending to pretty much the whole internet.

I also have a short input ACL on all our transit interfaces that blocks
SQL slammer and the DoS mentioned at http://www.lurhq.com/cisco-dos.html

i.e. here's some config snippets from one of the routers.

ip cef distributed
interface FastEthernet6/0/0
 ip access-group slammer+ciscodosopt in
 ip verify unicast source reachable-via any
 no ip unreachables
 ip route-cache flow
 no ip mroute-cache
 ip policy route-map nachiworm
 load-interval 30
 full-duplex

route-map nachiworm permit 10
 match ip address nachilist
 match length 92 92
 set interface Null0

ip access-list extended nachilist
 permit icmp any any echo
 permit icmp any any echo-reply

ip access-list extended slammer+ciscodosopt
 permit tcp any any
 deny   udp any any eq 1434
 permit udp any any
 permit icmp any any
 deny   53 any any log-input
 deny   55 any any log-input
 deny   77 any any log-input
 deny   pim any any log-input
 permit ip any any

We still get quite a few hits on 1434/udp, and what could either be nachi
or just people doing windows traceroute, and relatively few on the odd
protos DoS.

Short of just pulling all this (the policy routing and ACL) out and hoping
our network isn't destroyed from within by infected customers, is there
any way to diagnose whats causing the ignored errors?  I'm not seeing
anything from show buffer fail (either on the RSP or VIPs) when we get
bursts of ignores.  Show int stat shows what I think are normal values
(most traffic being dcef switched, orders of magnitude less being
processor switched).

FastEthernet6/0/0
          Switching path    Pkts In   Chars In   Pkts Out  Chars Out
               Processor       9661    2256916      12471    1185150
             Route cache          0          0          0          0
       Distributed cache   34054578 10195735908   18164802 8416631117
                   Total   34064239 10197992824   18177273 8417816267

Processor load and memory (either on the RSP or VIPs) doesn't look
problematic.