[c-nsp] DTS traffic shaping & voice queuing

Djerk Geurts djerk.cisco at easynet.nl
Mon Dec 20 03:51:56 EST 2004

Who can tell me how voice is processed when doing DTS (QoS)

The principle is to have a hyrarchical policy-map with the parent shaping to
CIR and the child doing the actual QoS queuing and bandwidth statements
according to the set classes. The purpose is to apply QoS to a Fast-Ethernet
sub-interface where the sub-interface should be rate limited.

As far as I know now:
Shape average = Commits to CIR (best as I need to commit to CIR)
Shape peak    = Sends Bc & Be (not good when doing voice? If Be=0 then the
same as average?)

- Shaping delays traffic upon congestion as it's queued in the shaping
process. Which is not good for voice traffic.

- Policing no queueing happens but packets are just dropped. This is not
good for voice either.

Regards,

--
Djerk Geurts