[c-nsp] FE ignored errors

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Dec 20 10:55:55 EST 2004

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Gert Doering wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 06:10:19PM -0500, Jon Lewis wrote:
> > I've recently started seeing large bursts (sometimes tens, usually
> > thousands) of input ignored errors on several 7500 routers FE
> > interfaces (rsp4, vip2-50, PA-FE-TX).  It's even happening on relatively
> > low traffic ones that are only doing about 1/5 line rate traffic.
>
> We do also see them (on NPE-400/PA-FA-TX and on 7500/VIP2-50/PA-FE-TX).

How many are you seeing?  We're seeing bursts of thousands and wondering
if it's impacting our network.  I was talking to someone online last night
who suggested it could be MEMD starvation.

show control vip N accum confirms this.  We're dropping packets because
the VIPs can't get buffers on the RSP MEMD, and at times are failing to RX
buffer.

I've turned off the policy routing, and it made no difference.

Are you still setting hold-queue <N> <in|out> on your higher traffic
interfaces?  If so, how high?

Since we're only passing a fraction of the traffic this hardware is
supposedly capable of, I really suspect this is a software bug.