[c-nsp] FE ignored errors

G xlimitx at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 11:12:49 EST 2004

Just out of curiosity... Are you running dCEF or just regular CEF.
I'm guessing that with the VIP2-40 that you're not but if you are that
could also be lending to the problem at hand.

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:55:55 -0500 (EST), Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 06:10:19PM -0500, Jon Lewis wrote:
> > > I've recently started seeing large bursts (sometimes tens, usually
> > > thousands) of input ignored errors on several 7500 routers FE
> > > interfaces (rsp4, vip2-50, PA-FE-TX).  It's even happening on relatively
> > > low traffic ones that are only doing about 1/5 line rate traffic.
> >
> > We do also see them (on NPE-400/PA-FA-TX and on 7500/VIP2-50/PA-FE-TX).
>
> How many are you seeing?  We're seeing bursts of thousands and wondering
> if it's impacting our network.  I was talking to someone online last night
> who suggested it could be MEMD starvation.
>
> show control vip N accum confirms this.  We're dropping packets because
> the VIPs can't get buffers on the RSP MEMD, and at times are failing to RX
> buffer.
>
> I've turned off the policy routing, and it made no difference.
>
> Are you still setting hold-queue <N> <in|out> on your higher traffic
> interfaces?  If so, how high?
>
> Since we're only passing a fraction of the traffic this hardware is
> supposedly capable of, I really suspect this is a software bug.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and
I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein