[c-nsp] FE ignored errors

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Mon Dec 20 12:26:31 EST 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 06:18:23PM +0100, Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 11:12:49AM -0500, G wrote:
> > Just out of curiosity... Are you running dCEF or just regular CEF.
> > I'm guessing that with the VIP2-40 that you're not but if you are that
> > could also be lending to the problem at hand.
>
> dCEF, and it's a VIP2-50 with 128 Mb DRAM.
>
> Actually these input ignores are only happening since we've changed
> to dCEF - when we were still running CEF (RSP4+), we had no input ignores
> (or at least the counters didn't increment).
>
> I've recently started wondering whether dCEF on VIP2-50s is such a good
> idea anyway - the performance numbers that Cisco publishes claim that
> the RSP4 is MUCH faster, and since this 7500 has only 3 high speed
> interfaces (2x FE, 1x POS-OC3), it might be a better approach to run
> centralized CEF...

Exactly what I said in my other email.  There are situations where
the RSP can do more work than the VIPs combined.

But as a system a box loaded with a bunch of VIPs that have
the horsepower to do the packet switching and features can
do far more than the box with just a fast RSP in there
and dCEF off.

Rodney