[c-nsp] Reliable static routes and 12.2S

Daniel Roesen dr at cluenet.de
Tue Dec 21 11:04:51 EST 2004

On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 04:19:05PM +0100, Andre Beck wrote:
> Well, supervising reachability on top of VPNs and PPPoE clouds is
> the real intention, but in practice, every simple Ethernet broadcast
> domain with a gateway in there is able to blackhole you. I'd rather
> like an alternate style of L2 reachability supervision on top of
> Ethernet, a special non-ARP point to point over Ethernet that
> constantly watches the availability of the peer MAC and would let
> the interface go line protocol down if it cannot be established. But
> there is no such thing that I knew of,

You're looking for BFD (bi-directional forwarding detection). As far as
I know not yet implemented by Cisco, and in JunOS only used for IGP
yet (IS-IS, not sure about OSPF). Provides end2end failure detection
down to milliseconds time-to-detect (I've seen 50ms - this is SONET/SDH
ring wrap time).

Best regards,
Daniel