[c-nsp] DTS traffic shaping & voice queuing

Clinton Work clinton at scripty.com
Tue Dec 21 13:17:31 EST 2004

I have found clocking down a circuit provides much better shaping than
using a MQC traffic shaper. The problem with the software based shaper
is that it doesn't smooth out bursts. Tokens (bytes) are put into
the bucket at 10ms intervals, but the entire bucket can be used up in
the first 1ms  by a large burst. IP packets after the token is exhausted
will be queued until token bucket is refreshed (in 9ms). If a downstream
device is policing traffic to the shaped rate with a small burst size
then the bursts will be dropped.

The software driver for a interface will smooth out bursts as packets
are taken out of the queue and transmitted at a regular interval.

Token refresh rate (10 - 125ms).
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk543/tk545/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a3a25.shtml#tokenrefreshrate