[c-nsp] Slammer (1434) attack

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Wed Dec 22 09:43:41 EST 2004

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 06:34:48AM -0800, Amol Sapkal wrote:
> Earlier, I suggested that we remove the access-list (or rate-limit the
> udp 1434 traffic on the vlan interface to a minimal value) so that I
> could apply 'ip route-cache flow' on the affected vlan interface and
> check for the host generating traffic on port 1434.

I'm not sure about the 6509s, but "in general", if you do netflow
exporting, you *will* see packets dropped by an ACL (with a "null"
destination interface).

So this might be a viable approach.

The other "standard" approach is to go to the distribution switches,
and just see which FastE interface has > 90 mbit/s incoming traffic -
this will be the machine spewing slammer at you.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de