[c-nsp] identify reason for step like round trip time increasing

Rodney Dunn rodunn at cisco.com
Fri Dec 24 11:20:00 EST 2004

It would take some heavy debugging with sniffers
to find out where and in what direction the
delay is introduced.

Search the archives but it's clear that pinging
to a router isn't the correct way to get
RTT measurements.  You should ping through the
devices to an endstation that is dedicated
to responding to pings.

Or use SAA for RTT calculations.

If you could time sync your sending device
and the router via NTP you could
do a "debug ip packet <acl>" and match
that up with a sniffer trace on the sending device
to see what direction the delay is.

Then you would have to sniff hop by hop
to find out where it's getting introduced.

Rodney