[c-nsp] Drawbacks of Redistributing Default Route from BGP intoIGP(ISIS)

Dan Armstrong dan at beanfield.com
Sun Dec 26 11:52:13 EST 2004

You may be missing a layer in your head....

The layer that has BGP Peers obvoiusly runs BGP.

The bottom layer where customers connect, generally speaking does not
run BGP, it only runs your IGP, and generally is advertised a default
route from the "middle" layer(s) The middle layer(s) usually speak both
BGP and your IGP..

So theoretically, each "access" device will not really need to care
about more than 2 middle layer devices (2 for redundancy) coupled with
per destination load balancing with CEF, the default routes are good to go.

In a small network, of course, all those upper layers could be collapsed
into one.... that's why I say you may be missing it in your head,
conceptually.

Dan.