[c-nsp] QoS Order of Operation in an MPLS environment

Per Carlson ml at carlson.homeunix.net
Tue Dec 28 04:55:43 EST 2004

Yasser Aly wrote:
> For the incoming packets from CE to PE router, inside the PE, will
> the packet tagged with the MPLS EXP once entered the VRF, or I will
> match and set ip prec values and PE will automatically translate it
> to the MPLS world inside the Provider core network.

You can safely use normal policy-maps (in and out) on the PE-CE link.
The EXP field won't be used until creating the label at the egress
interface. If you are using Prec, the EXP bits will be set
automagically. If using DSCP, you must manually map DSCP values to
EXP-bits at the egress interface using a class-map and policy-map.

Per