[c-nsp] QoS Order of Operation in an MPLS environment

Yasser Aly yasser.aly at noorgroup.net
Tue Dec 28 06:05:52 EST 2004

Oliver,

  Thanx for your reply.

Here is what I was trying to do and need your confirmation to solidify my
understanding.

MQC is applied at the PE router on the sub-interface facing CE.

Policing is applied for FTP class such that conformed packets will be tagged
with Prec 3 and transmitted, exceeded packets should be transmitted with
Prec 0.

Confusing comes from whether I need to set prec 3 and 0 as the action in the
police statement , or to set the mpls topmost 3 and 0 as the action -
confused when Prec are converted to mpls EXP -.

Below is the sample of the in-PE policy applied at the PE router.

========
policy-map in-PE
  class ftp
   police 102000 12750 25500 conform-action set-prec-transmit 3
exceed-action set-prec-transmit 0 class class-default
=========

The in-PE service policy is applied on the PE Sub-interface facing the
customer.

I have another question: What is the difference between set MPLS topmost and
Set MPLS imposition ?

Thanx in advance.
Yasser