[c-nsp] Catalyst 2970 and third-party SFPs

Sascha E. Pollok nsp-list at pollok.net
Wed Dec 29 06:35:47 EST 2004

Tony,

here we go. I received the 2970TS today and inserted two
Finisar SFPs. One SX one LX/LH. I did not configure
the "errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid" command
but left it in it's default configuration instead.
The ports did NOT go into errdisable but stayed not connected
(which is because it is simply: not connected).

This is what I see:

Switch#sh controllers ethernet-controller gig0/25 phy

General SFP Information
Identifier            :   0x03
Connector             :   0x07
Transceiver           :   0x00 0x00 0x00 0x02 0x12 0x00 0x0D 0x01
Encoding              :   0x01
BR_Nominal            :   0x0D
Vendor Name           :   CISCO-FINISAR
Vendor Part Number    :   1000BASE-LX
Vendor Revision       :   0x41 0x30 0x20 0x20
Vendor Serial Number  :   H11L974
[...]

Switch#sh controllers ethernet-controller gig0/26 phy

General SFP Information
Identifier            :   0x03
Connector             :   0x07
Transceiver           :   0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01 0x20 0x40 0x0C 0x01
Encoding              :   0x01
BR_Nominal            :   0x0C
Vendor Name           :   FINISAR CORP.
Vendor Part Number    :   FTRJ-8519-7D-CS
Vendor Revision       :   0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Vendor Serial Number  :   H115SL5
[...]

I'd say that this is working. Any more information required?

Cheers
Sascha