[c-nsp] Load sharing using bvi interface

Rob Polland rpolland at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 10:46:19 EST 2004

Hi all,
I have two routers attached through ethernet segment, one router has
two fastethernet interfaces and the other has a single gigabit
ethernet interface. i want to load balance the traffic between the two
interfaces and the the gigabit interface ( upload and download) also
to run a dynamic routing protocol between them.  router1 is the router
with 2 fast ethernet interfaces and router2 is with gigabit
interface), we configured the interface by the following

router1
---------
interface fast 0/0
ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0

int fast 1/1
ip address 11.11.11.1 255.255.255.0

router2
----------
interface gigabit 5/1
ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.0
ip address 11.11.11.2 255.255.255.0 secondary

the problem is that rip is the only routing protocol working over a
secondary address on router 2, and i want to run ospf between the two
routers and load share between the 2 interfaces( upload and download)

any way I have some configuration in mind but I dont know if this will
work fine or not also if anyone has another solution please help me
with it

the solution i have in mind is using irb bridging with a bvi interface
on router 1 as follow:

int fast 0/1
no ip address
bridge-group 1

int fast 1/1
no ip address
bridge-group 1

int bvi 1
ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0
!

but what i need to know does bridging will sacle will with load
balancing ( per packet). and does this solution scale well?

thanks a lot