[c-nsp] Cisco Catalyst 2950 port partitioning?

Jay Hennigan jay at west.net
Thu Dec 30 14:14:50 EST 2004

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, G wrote:

> This may be a stupid question to ask but why on the Catalyst 2950-24s
> are each group of 8 ports seemingly partitioned by a yellow divider?
> Is this just a decorative Cisco feature, or is this an logical
> representation of the division of controllers for each 8 ports?  If
> anyone has any insight on this, it would be great as I can't find
> anything on CCO.

The physical jack hardware is made in modules of 8.  The 3524s are double
12-jack arrays.

The yellow borders are strictly decorative, following Cisco's color code
of yellow = ethernet that seems to be universal across their product line,
similar to light blue = console, datk blue = T1, black = aux, etc.

Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Administration - jay at west.net
WestNet:  Connecting you to the planet.  805 884-6323      WB6RDV
NetLojix Communications, Inc.  -  http://www.netlojix.com/