[nsp] Graphing/Collecting DSL Bandwidth Utilization

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Tue Feb 3 11:39:06 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-03 at 16:34, Jeff Garvas wrote:
> Is there an easy way to collect utilization information for DSL customers
> coming in as PPPoE over vpdn sessions?
>
> The sessions are established as virutal interfaces that are never static.
> Graphing the interfaces is pointless since they change randomly and can't
> easily be associated with a specific user.

Have a look at the CISCO-VPDN-MGMT-MIB which might provide what you
need.

We graphed per-user utilization stats for a somewhat special VPDN dialup
solution at one time with this MIB. This was just a dialup service
coming in from AS5300s and L2TP-tunneled to a 7206VXR LNS. We don't use
any PPPoE at all, so I don't know if this will work for your environment
though.

You should be able to see the username associated with a session on the
LNS walking cvpdnSessionAttrUserName, and various associated counters
are available (cvpdnSessionAttrBytesIn/Out,
cvpdnSessionAttrPacketsIn/Out, etc).

We used a perl script to fetch this data and store the results in
per-username RRDs, but I guess you could be able to hack this into
various tools.

But again - never done this with PPPoE, so ymmv.

/leg