[nsp] VLAN Traffic shaping not working on 6500

Richard J. Sears rsears at adnc.com
Tue Feb 3 15:59:46 EST 2004

We have tried over and over again to get *any* type of traffic shaping
to work on our 6509's (Sup1/MFFC2s) without avail.

If someone has a true working config, I would love to see it - according
to everything I have read and what others have told me, it cannot be
done on the 6509's - I would love to know different.

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:06:26 -0600
Pete Templin <petelists at templin.org> wrote:

> Anyone know if CAR will work, and how much impact it will cause?
>
> sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> > 6500 with Sup2/PFC2 *cannot* do policing/shaping on outgoing traffic in
> > hardware - you need the Sup720 (or -3BXL) for that. Sup2/PFC2 does fine
> > with incoming traffic.
> >
> > You should still be able to do it in software (good old fashioned CAR),
> > though I never tried that. Will obviously increase your processor load.
> >
> > Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no

Richard J. Sears
Vice President
American Digital Network
rsears at adnc.com
http://www.adnc.com
858.576.4272 - Phone
858.427.2401 - Fax

I fly because it releases my mind
from the tyranny of petty things . .

"Work like you don't need the money, love like you've
never been hurt and dance like you do when nobody's
watching."