[nsp] VLAN Traffic shaping not working on 6500

Sam Stickland sam_ml at spacething.org
Wed Feb 4 08:04:30 EST 2004

Tim Stevenson wrote:
> 6500 does not do any *shaping*, it does policing/rate limiting. In
> other words, we won't "smooth out a bursty flow" by buffering
> traffic, we basically put a hard cap on usage.
>
> Both sup1 & sup2 support *ingress* policing only, and you need to
> make sure you are using the right combination of CLI commands to
> accomplish this, otherwise it won't work or won't work as expected.
> There should be some example configs on cisco.com in the support
> area, or use the config guide (which admittedly can be a bit hard to
> follow).

Yes particulary with quotes like this, that show up on a few google
searches.

"Q. Does the FWSM support traffic shaping?

A. Traffic shaping is supported via the Catalyst 6500 line cards, which
provide the VLAN interfaces to the FWSM.

Q. Does the FWSM support QoS mechanisms and rate limiting?

A. Yes, it supports all Catalyst 6500 QoS capabilities."

    -
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2706/products_qanda_item091
86a00800c4fee.shtml