[nsp] ICMP type 3 code 4 + NAT (Was: ICMP: time exceeded(reassembly))

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at dekeyzer.net
Thu Feb 5 06:51:30 EST 2004

Jason,

you would have to hope that the ICMP T3C4 has some copy of the originating
packet (like I think it does in the echo reply packet?).

Otherwise, I don't really see how the NAT box could relate the incoming ICMP
packet to outgoing packets of the previously established incoming TCP
session, and send them to the web server.

MTU, ICMP T3C4 and firewalls used to be a pain a few years ago, but that was
with GRE - not sure this relates to your problem?
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk827/tk369/technologies_tech_note09186a0080
093f1f.shtml (might require login)

Vincent