[nsp] Vlans across a t1.

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Feb 6 21:42:10 EST 2004

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004, Ejay Hire wrote:

> Thanks to all for the recommendations and suggestions.  One
> more question and I'll return to LA (Lurker's Anonymous)
> status.  Can anyone suggest a good introduction to MPLS?  I
> understand now that wasn't what I really wanted to do, but
> the technology is interesting and I have some CPU cycles to
> burn.

You could start with pages like:
http://cio.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk436/tk428/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800a6c11.shtml
and the related pages listed at the bottom.

Some important details are left out of the above page...and I'll mention
that in the ~2 years we've been selling MPLS VPNs, I've had several
instances of tag-switching getting really screwy, ranging from mostly
harmless routing loops (that loop just once before going the right way) to
just not forwarding packets at all, requiring reboots and in the most
recent case, config changes (to fix a problem that "just happened all of a
sudden") that should not have reasonably made a difference.