[nsp] SUP1-MSFC performance?

Rubens Kuhl Jr. rubens at email.com
Tue Feb 10 21:25:54 EST 2004

> Running BGP and L3 forwarding on a 6500 w/ SUP1-MSFC or SUP1A-MSFC what
> kind of realistic performance limitations are there? I am not talking
> about anything high touch like 10,000 line ACLs. Just how many routes it
> can realistically hold and how many pps or bits/s it can forward without
> dying.

As Sup1A already used TCAM for ACLs, it doesn't matter what is the size of
it provided it fits on TCAM (16K entries).

> I am looking at an app that needs 3-4Gb/s and would rather not have to
> put SUP2-MSFC2's in.

That would depend on wether this traffic goes to a single IP address (or a
low number of them), or the Internet. If you configure it to use
destination-IP flows (might be default) and traffic goes to a single or a
low number of target IPs, you could get the 15 Mpps maximum. Otherwise your
performance will look more like a Cisco 7200 with NPE-225, i.e, 225 kpps.

Rubens