[nsp] OSPF NSSA

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Feb 11 06:00:20 EST 2004

> Thanks alot for your advice and info.
>
> I tried out Mustafa's method of putting R4's loopback
> into Area 1 and R1 is now able to see 2 paths to R4.
> :)

Ack. For your topology this is the best solution (I forgot to mention it
in my previous mail).

> Just curious but is putting the loopback into an Area
> a standard procedure? Is this behaviour standard for
> OSPF or is it due to the way Cisco IOSes operate?

It is standard practice, and also best practice for any connected
interface for this matter. You can always add a "passive-interface"
statement if you don't want any neighbor relationships established over
the interface.

> Previously I used to do redistribute connected to
> inject the loopback IP address into OSPF. How is this
> different from manually specifying the loopback IP
> address as a member of the area?

As Andrew already mentioned: this prevents external LSAs from being
generated. So depending on your topology this might or might not make a
difference.

	oli