[nsp] NxT1 MLPPP

David Curran dm at nuvox.net
Wed Feb 11 15:56:15 EST 2004

You can bundle 8 links in a group on most platforms.  Some of the very
high-end distributed platforms will allow 12.  It should also be noted that
IOS will load balance, at most, across 8 paths (used to be 6).

Allow me to give some non-scientific anecdotes.  We had a lot Cisco 7206VXR
chassis with NPE400s running MLPPP links.  We ran OSPF and BGP across them
and some MPLS "stuff" over that.  We ended up having to convert all of them
to per-packet due to high CPU utilization and just general "weirdness".  The
boxes would run at 40% utilization even at "low tide".  And processor util.
would increase with load, which is not common with CEF.

After kicking this around for a while with cisco it became apparent that
some of the MPLS features we were running weren't 100% supported and that
was probably the cause.  There are some features suited for Multilink
interfaces and some that aren't.

The moral of the story is, as the previous poster said, don't skimp on
processor, don't expect to be able to run all protocols with any feature
over the bundle, and don't expect a 4xT1 group to actually run like a
factional DS3.  With those caveats in mind, MLPPP is a great technology.

If you're trying to decide which to use it may also be useful to consider
the traffic which will be passing over it.  If its going to be lots of small
packets, CEF with per-packet will run just as fast as MLPPP.  If its going
to be lots of large packets mixed in with other traffic you might benefit
from MLPPPs fragmentation and interleaving.  YMMV

Hope that helps,

-david