[nsp] Dial-Backup for PPPoE-Dialer?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Thu Feb 12 09:39:23 EST 2004

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 02:34:16PM -0000, Chris Roberts wrote:
> > Cisco's concept of "dialer interfaces are always up" has its merits, but
> > makes certain situations quite challenging.
>
> Can you use the dialer-watch feature on the ISDN interface configured with
> the peer address negotiated by PPP (assuming you have peer neighbor-route)?
> I know this works for PPP over ATM, but I'm not sure about PPP over
> Ethernet.

You could.  It creates a dependency on the ISP's router IP address,
which is bad bad bad bad - ISP adds more routers, or moves some L2TP
tunnels to a different routers, and suddenly you need to use the same
loopback IP on different boxes, or your client dialup will break.

The fact that you can do "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dialer1" without
knowing the specific IP of the remote end is *very* useful...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de