[nsp] Is 128MB enough for a full BGP table on a 7206VXR?

Jeff Aitken jaitken at aitken.com
Tue Feb 24 09:02:31 EST 2004

On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 01:50:22PM +0100, Vincent De Keyzer wrote:
> And BTW, what is this "I/O-2" memory that I see down there?

On the 72xx, system memory is divided into the three categories you
observed (processor, I/O, and I/O-2).  I/O-2 is referred to as PCI
memory on legacy (i.e., non-VXR) platforms.  The function of each of
these pools is:

    Processor memory: This pool is used for storing the Cisco IOS software
	code, the routing tables, and the system buffers. It's
	allocated from the DRAM on the NPE-100, NPE-150, and the
	NPE-200; the SDRAM region on the NPE-175 and NPE-225; and
	SDRAM bank 1 on the NPE-300.

    I/O memory: This pool is used for particle pools. Both the interface
	private pools and the public particle pool are allocated
	from this memory. The size of this memory depends on the
	type of NPE. The NPE-150 and the NPE-200 both have a fixed
	amount of SRAM that is used for a form of Input/Output (I/O)
	memory: 1 MB for the NPE-150 and 4 MBs for the NPE-200. The
	NPE-300 uses its SDRAM bank 0 which is fixed at 32 MB.

    PCI memory: This small pool is mainly used for interface receive and
	transmit rings. It is sometimes used to allocate private
	interface particle pools for high-speed interfaces. On
	NPE-175, NPE-225, and NPE-300 systems, this pool is created
	in SDRAM. On the NPE-150 and NPE-200, it's created entirely
	on SRAM.

[ from http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps341/products_tech_note09186a0080094ea3.shtml ]

--Jeff