[nsp] broadbandwidth

Chris Moore - GMD chris.moore at gmd.com
Wed Feb 25 08:58:41 EST 2004

I've always expressed it as an oversubscription rate. As an example, 4 users
with 1.5mbps ADSL links sharing a single T1 trunk is "4-1".

As you said, the answer is "it depends". It depends on what kind of
guarantees you want to give customers, how happy you want to keep them, etc.
I've seen 4-1 used and the trunk links never filled up and I've seen 20-1
tried where customers were getting peaved 'cause there connection would bog
down badly during peak periods. If I had it to do over again I'd probably
start with 8-1 and adjust as needed as experience dictates.

Chris