[nsp] Calculating ATM Cell transfer rates

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Wed Feb 25 11:35:54 EST 2004

> I am trying to pin down the correct way of calculating ATM cell rates
> from a given speed in bps.  I have read various documents that contradict
> each other - my understanding of the correct method is as follows:

The Cisco specification (in kbps) is based on 53 byte cells. You can see
this by turning on suitable debugging info, and the router will print
the calculated number of cells per second.

(Rant of the day: The Cisco way of specifying this is also incredibly
stupid and confusing.  It would have been much easier if we could simply
specify the speed in cps directly.)

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no