[nsp] kentrox hdlc

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Feb 29 04:16:38 EST 2004

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 09:45:45AM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> > An easier approach would be to always use PPP.  It's well-standardized,
> > you can beat vendors with the RFCs if needed, and has no major
> > disadvantages anymore.
>
> Ok, let's put it this way:
>
> On a Cisco router with T3 interface (coax) I can do this:
>
> (config-if)#dsu mode ?
>   adtran        Set DSU mode to Adtran
>   cisco         Set DSU mode to Cisco
>   digital-link  Set DSU mode to Digital-Link
>   kentrox       Set DSU mode to Kentrox
>   larscom       Set DSU mode to Larscom
>
> What are the difference between these?

As far as I understand, it relates to the way the remote DSU will do
scrambling and sub-rating (wire-speed is 45 Mbps, but actual data
transmission rate is lower than that).  This is bit transmission level,
below the actual PPP/HDLC framing.

> The PCI DS3 card driver is probably
> implemented to use the Cisco DSU mode.
>
> Anyhow, it doesnt work with the configuration:
>
> "NM-HSSI" to "Kentrox IDSU" to "DS3 PCI card".

Are you sure your layer 1 things are all setup correctly?  That is,
clocking is OK (one side is doing clocking), telco line is OK (you can
test that using the loops on the Kentrox iDSU), etc.?

> I have tried PPP and Cisco HDLC and standard HDLC. The above is the only
> thing I can find that would stop this from working?

I agree, this could be a reason, but it's "below" PPP/HDLC.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de