[nsp] Cisco routers: DRAM chips banks used

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jan 5 17:16:43 EST 2004

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 01:22:04PM -0800, Dennis Peng wrote:
> > http://www.cisco.com/warp/customer/63/simm_config_3620_3640.html
>
> Thanks for forwarding the link, I didn't know they made that publicly
> available.

Stumbled over it when searching for "which combinations of memory are
supported" :-)

> If you are willing to troll through some hex dumps, I came
> up with a similar method to find out the memory configuration on the
> 2600 if you are running older IOS.

*stow away* - thanks.

> > > Right now, there is no equivalent command on the 7200 platform. You
> > > can express interest in having this command by opening up a case and
> > > having it attached to CSCdv69265. The more interest we can generate,
> > > the faster (and more likely) it will be implemented.
> >
> > Most of the NPEs take only one SIMM anyway (NPE-225, NPE-400, NPE-G1),
> > so on the 7206VXR, this feature won't be as helpful as for the others...
>
> I quickly glanced through the documentation and it looks like the
> NPE-175, NPE-225, NSE-1, and NPE-400 have only one slot. The NPE-100,
> NPE-150, NPE-200 and NPE-300 have 2 (or more) slots.

I omitted all NPEs below the 225 (as they don't run in the VXRs) and
forgot the NSE-1 ;-)

The NPE-300 is peculiar indeed.  It has 4 slots, but funny rules how they
must be filled ("don't touch bank 0, never put anything into bank 1, and
bank 2 must be larger or same size as bank 3").  For that one, to be able
to decide between "128+0" and "64+64" might indeed be quite helpful.

> The NPE-G1 has
> two slots, but I think the two always have to match, so it reduces the
> possible combinations.

Ummm.  Thanks for the reminder.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/