[nsp] AToM (on 7600 w/ SUP720) : summary

Ian Cox icox at cisco.com
Tue Jan 6 00:42:01 EST 2004

There are two types of EoMPLS for the 6500/7600:
  - WAN based (FlexWAN or OSM module using PXF enabled interface) must be
facing the MPLS core
  - H/W based Performed by the forwarding ASICs on the Supervisor or DFC module

EoMPLS Support
                                 WAN based       H/W based
Supervisor 1                    no              no
Supervisor 2                    yes             no
Supervisor 720 PFC3a            yes             no
Supervisor 720 PFC3bXL          yes             yes

H/W based and WAN based differ also in the ability to perform local L2
switching and MAC address learning. H/W based EoMPLS functions like EoMPLS
on 7200/7500/12000 where you don't learn MAC addresses or perform local
switching of traffic between ports. WAN based EoMPLS can perform local
switching and does do MAC address learning.

WAN based EoMPLS is configured upon the SVI interface, and H/W based EoMPLS
is configured on a physical or sub-interface of a physical interface. The
following reference will be of use:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/core/cis7600/cfgnotes/optical/122sx/mpls.htm#1128955

Key Differences between PFC3a/DFC3a and PFC3bXL/DFC3bXL
   - Support for H/W based EoMPLS only on PFC3bXL
   - Increased FIB table size on PFC3bXL (4x the size of PFC3a)
   - Support for 256k netflow table on PFC3bXL vs 128k on PFC3a
   - Support for Access control list entry counters on PFC3bXL

Ian