[nsp] 2500 DRAM info

Church, Chuck cchurch at wamnetgov.com
Tue Jan 6 21:15:21 EST 2004

Regarding which 2500s have 2 megs soldered on:

# Physically, all the boards have one single inline memory module (SIMM) slot (72-pin, 70 ns). Furthermore, if the board's revision level is A through G, there are an additional 2 MB of RAM soldered to the system card. If the revision level is I through N, there is no RAM soldered to the system card.

The board revision number can be checked using the show version command:

cisco 2500 (68030) processor (revision A) with 16380K/2048K bytes of memory.

# DRAM SIMM can be up to 16 MB, so total DRAM can be 18 MB on routers having an additional 2 MB on-board.

# If the SIMM is not used, shared I/O memory is 1 MB and Main Processor Memory is 1 MB of the 2 MB on-board DRAM.

# If SIMM is used, shared I/O memory is 2 MB on-board DRAM, and Main Processor Memory is the SIMM (up to 16 MB).

# For the 25xx platforms that do not have on-board DRAM and only use SIMMs, the memory is logically divided in shared I/OmMemory and main processor memory.

from link:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_tech_note09186a0080094e93.shtml#memory

Chuck Church
CCIE #8776, MCNE, MCSE