[nsp] VPN 3000 Concentrator to terminal server

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Sun Jan 11 12:39:14 EST 2004

Don't know for sure, but you might have success using a standard DB-9
terminal adapter on both ends of a Cisco console cable, if you add an
RJ-45 "roll adapter" to it.  A roll adapter would be a short 4" length
of Cat 5 cable with a normally wired (T568B) RJ-45 plug on one end, and
an RJ-45 wall jack wired as follows:

1	white/brown
2	brown
3	white/green
4	blue
5	white/blue
6	green
7	white/orange
8	orange

It's not pretty, but it's obviously not an extension so most folks will
think twice before they remove it, discard it, etc.  I do this for
Riverstone routers myself (after cursing the fact that my oh-poop kit
contains plenty of terminal adapters, plenty of 10' console cables, but
too many 3' Ethernet cables and not enough 10' Ethernet cables).

You might also have success with a DB-9 null modem adapter on one end of
a Cisco console cable with two DB-9 terminal adapters, but I've never
tried this.