[nsp] GSR engine types?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sun Jan 11 18:14:21 EST 2004

Something that Cisco GSR group seems to not have learned from it's
competitors is to re-release the same port density linecards but with
the "rich edge" feature set.  Juniper (and others) have released
enhanced versions of their hardware (such as the Q-Pic series hardware)
that has a far more rich set of features and works in their products.
Some require the E-FPC instead of the FPC, but they did think "Now that
we have our line rate module to do time-to-market, lets make sure we
try to get this right".  Doesn't mean they hit the mark, but it does
show that they have tried.  I think it's important to take note of this
and any competitors in the 'core space' that do truly understand that
hardware does move from the core to the edge and there need to be ways
to handle basic security features (acl, etc..) without creating a
product that is so expensive that it's cheaper to retrain everyone to a
new vendor..

	- jared