[nsp] high cpu load on 2651

Jim Littlefield little at abaqus.com
Tue Jan 13 08:12:07 EST 2004

Kinczli Zoltán wrote:

>Hello,
>
> Thanks for everyone who responded.
>I'm including the sanitized config and a 'sh proc cpu hist'
>
> Yes, almost all traffic is at interrupt level, the procesess are sleeping.
>No BGP on the router, just eigrp. The age of the routes when i last checked was over 2 days.
>Yes, CEF is ON. Yes, flow-cache and flow-cache feature accelerate is on.
>
> The load is unusually high w/o ACL, w/o CAR.
>

> a TAC CE has analyzed the CPU profile output, the most cpu intensive functions were:
>
>36.31%  process_throttle_off
>     (throttle is something like a self pretoction action..., this seems to be high... but i'm not a cpu profiling expert)
>11.38%  scheduler
>

> Perhaps, i should remove the IP addresses  ;))

We are having the same problem with a pair of 2651's. Running iperf
tests, we have found that the routers cannot handle any where close to
the 40kps rate that Cisco advertises without running out of CPU.

--
Jim Littlefield            "I have a red sign on my door. It says,
                            'If this sign is blue, you're moving