[nsp] Router sizing

Sven Huster sven at huster.me.uk
Tue Jan 13 12:19:19 EST 2004

Hello

I'm looking into upgrading some of our routers.

We need:
- Unit 1
  -- 2 Gi to our core network (both fibre)
  -- 1 Gi to upstream/peers (fibre),
     which will then be split in 2 Fa
     (one upstream, one peering) at the far end.
  -- 1 Fa to OoB mgmt network
- Unit 2
  -- 2 Gi to our core network (both fibre)
  -- 2 Fa to upstream/peers (1 copper/1 fibre)
  -- 1 Fa to OoB mgmt network

Unit 1 receives 1 full and 80 partial BGP views.
Unit 2 receives 1 full and 20 partial BGP views.

Currently we are doing 150Mb/s peak.

As these will be our main upstream/peering
connections I'm especially looking for the pps
and support of uRPF, ACL and obviously BGP.
Furthermore OSPF but no need for MPLS.

Of course, we need some room for growth like
another upstream (1 Fa) on each with full views.

Any suggestion on with Cisco kit would do this?
Any more information I need to provide?

Thanks
Cheers
Sven