[nsp] Cisco ONS 15XXX Mapping STS to Ethernet ports

Jim Devane jim at powerpulse.cc
Fri Jan 16 10:59:48 EST 2004

All,

I have a basic question that I am having trouble nailing down a definite
answer for.

If I map an STS-1 from an OC-3 to an Fast/Ethernet port and the OC-3 goes
down, will the line protocol go down on the Ethernet port the STS is mapped
to?

I have heard arguments both ways and unfortunately I do not have a box to
test with.

If this will not happen automatically is there any sort of HSRP track
command  that could be used to provide this function. Basically, Ether in
the last mile is fine as long as the router doesn't have to wait for an L3
routing protocol timeout to realize that pathway has failed. ( assuming a
far-end complete failure )

Any input is welcome.

Thanks,

Jim