[nsp] Router sizing

Sven Huster sven at huster.me.uk
Tue Jan 20 06:23:56 EST 2004

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 09:01:52AM +0100, Lajber Zoltan wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, Sven Huster wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 10:03:16AM +0800, Ong Beng Hui wrote:
> > > You do have a lot of choices such as the 7200/NPE-G1, 7300, GSRs, etc etc.
> > >
> Unit1 should be 7200/NPE-G1 It has 3 Gi build-in, and you may use plus one
> Gi, and a few Fe.
>
> A little bit more powerfull is the 7300 family, it has 2Gi and a
> Fe OoB build-in, but more Gi possible trough a "PCI port adapter card,
> don't expect wire-speed Gi.
>
> 7606 about two times in price, but you have overkill scalabilty both in
> power, number of interfaces, and features. If possible, go with this.

Thanks for this.

I'd be looking for some more information about what packet rates would
be supported by each of them.
Let's say I got 2xGi to our core and 3xFa upstream/peering.
Now if I got e.g. a DDOS attack over the 3 lines and therefore
quite high packet rates.

Which of these three options would be able to forward traffic at
normal rate with ACL's (make it 200 ACE on layer 4) applied to drop
this traffic, how about uRPF(which is obviously not what we always
want to do)?
Any pointer to some information about this?

Thanks
Sven