[nsp] How much memory needed on a VIP

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jan 26 15:05:02 EST 2004

Hi,

On Mon, Jan 26, 2004 at 02:26:32PM -0500, jlewis at lewis.org wrote:
> > I have been looking on Cisco site, but can't find the answer to this.
> >
> > If I have 256MB on a RSP4 so the router can have 3 BGP sessions, how much
> > memory is needed on a VIP so if can do dCEF?
>
> Depends on config and whether you plan to do stuff like ip route-cache
> flow.  I'd say 64mb is the bare minimum, 128mb is strongly recommended.

Are you sure of that?  As far as I understand, you mainly need to fit
the memory requirements of "show ip cef summ" into the available
memory of the VIP2 (after the IOS has booted).

For a full table, CEF says

  27600716 bytes allocated to the FIB table data structures

and a VIP2-40 with 64Mb DRAM and 12.0(26)S1 reports

VIP-Slot1>sh mem
               Head     Total(b)     Used(b)     Free(b)   Lowest(b) Largest(b)
Processor   60A814A0    56094388    14836940    41257448    41257448 41245468

so while it will be somewhat tight, there will be some 14 Mbytes left,
which should last for another while...

Less than 64 Mb won't work anymore, of course.

Does anybody have figures with 12.2S on a 7500?  How much memory will
the VIP IOS eat in that case?

gert
--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * RIPE 47 / Amsterdam *