[nsp] How much memory needed on a VIP

Hyunseog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Mon Jan 26 15:21:23 EST 2004

It is really depends on what kind of configuration you are running.
But considering large size of decent IOS size along with microcode - do we
need to call this "micro"code any more? -,
you may experience memory problem from VIP cards with 64MB or less.
Even Cisco recommends 128MB or large memory for VIP card CPU memory
when you are running full BGP routing table or large size of internal routing
table.

I think it's cheaper to upgrade memory than having the problem from
production networks.

Don't say you only running BGP routing.
You need to have rooms for microcode, and other features from VIP cards, too.
^.^

Hyun

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 20:24:15 +0100, Piotr Marecki wrote

> > At minimum, it will require 128MB for VIP4-80 or VIP6-80 if you are
> running
> > Full BGP routing.
>  It is possible to run full bgp on vip4-80 with 64 mb (dcef) however
> i 'd agree that 128 mb seems to be safe enough
>
> regards
>
> Piotr Marecki
> Netia

Hyunseog Ryu