[nsp] NPE-G1

HyunSeog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Fri Jan 30 05:47:30 EST 2004

In Cisco 7507, you can go with RSP16 for upgrade path instead of RSP8.

I guess it will depends on your traffic pattern, and futher growth.

7206VXR can go with 6 interface slots, which you can reuse port adapters
from 7507s.
But from 7206VXR, I believe you can not use dCEF.
Cisco 7507 router has VIP cards for distributed processing,
but Cisco 7206VXR will depends on NPE for packet processing soly.

If you want to use 7206VXR, you have to give up HSA feature from dual RSPs.

In my humble opinion, if you want to use built-in GEs, you need to consider
the situation when there is a problem with GE port.
In that case, you have to replace NPE-G1.
So there will be service disruption.

Besides, GE usage will be limited from PCI bus speed - 800Mb I believe -,
so I guess combined bandwidth from 3 GE ports in NPE-G1 can not be exceed
more than PCI bus speed limit at all.

RSP16 supports up to 530kpps, and NPE-G1 supports up to 1 million PPS switching.

Cisco 7206VXR/NPE-G1 can be used up to 6 port adapters in addition to NPE-G1
built-in 3 port GEs.
Cisco 7507 can be used up to 10 port adapters with dual RSP's HSA feature.

When I tested Cisco 7304 router, router suddenly stopped to respond built-in GEs,
and it was a pain in the XXX because I have to replace whole CPU to fix it.

So it will come to flexibility, bandwidth/performance requirement, and cost.

Don't forget to compare maintenance cost. ^.^

Hyun