[nsp] sorry for the off topic post...

Stephen J. Wilcox steve at telecomplete.co.uk
Fri Jul 2 02:03:31 EDT 2004

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Mike Carter wrote:

> ***but this is unreal!!
>
> The CRS-1, which Cisco unveiled in May, is capable of downloading the entire
> printed collection of the U.S. Library of Congress in 4.6 seconds, as
> opposed to a dial-up modem transfer rate that would take 82 years.
>
> http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040701/tech_cisco_guinness_1.html

What about a more familar reference than the US Library of Congress - such as
419 scams per second or worms per second?

By seriously, I cant match their figures tho the ratio is 1:5.62^8 so if my
modem is 33k the CRS is 18.5Tbps or if the router is 92Tbps the modem would be
163Kbps. Perhaps they use half the capacity for "in" and half for "out" in which
case the above figures double and half respectively.. we're closer now.

.. and what interface card are they using? An OC-768 is only 40Gbps .. a factor
of 2000 less than the switching capacity.

Curious

Steve