[nsp] 7600 questions

Andrew Fort afort at choqolat.org
Tue Jul 6 23:25:47 EDT 2004

Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> Looking to replace a 7513 w/ RSP16 and oodles of PAs (FEs, E3s, T3,
> STM1s and 2 GEs).  Choice is either GSR, J M20 or 7600.  In regards to
> the 7600 with SUP720 what limitations are there in regards to:
> multicast, IPv6, Netflow V5, ACL limits, and uRPF?
>
> Thanks,
> Hank

Main ones I can think of on PFC3A Sup720 (note we don't do v6 or
multicast here, so cant talk about that) are

 - Netflow is enabled or disable on the box as a whole, not per
interface.  If you don't want to know about some interfaces, you have to
filter at the collector.
 - uRPF is limited to one mode only, but no FIB halving business
occurs.  i.e., you are stuck to loose or strict (and a semi-strict
against a group of interfaces mode) for the whole router.
 - ACL limits are based on the number of ACEs your ACLs build.  Don't
have the figures handy, but it's the same as the Sup2, basically.
(PFC3BXL has more TCAM resources for just about everything, whereas
PFC3A has similar resource limitations to Sup2 in some areas).

We're using FlexWAN and have had minor issues such as the sup code not
letting a WS6816 16-port GigE blade talk to the FlexWAN cards (bus +
fabric handling problems).  These are now fixed.  Was another bug with
FlexWAN config going missing (*CSCec17803).  Current software should be
fine for all of those things (other than v6+multicast which I cannot
speak for).*

Go Sup720+PFC3BXL if you can, seems to be the message, if you are using
this device as a router.

-andrew.