[nsp] dns forwarding

Roger grunky at rockriver.net
Wed Jul 7 12:48:11 EDT 2004

Richard Danielli wrote:

>Roger,
>
>If you only have to satisfy client requests, you might consider looking
>to the ip-helper address command in IOS.

Tried that..  Didn't work..  I put the helper address on the internal
interface and pointed the help-address to the dns server.

I tried a dns query on the ip of the router and it returned nothing.
 From my understanding the helper-address forwards udp broadcasts - ie
for dhcp/bootp a dns query is a udp unicast.

Since a number of people have suggest the same I might be doing
something wrong.  I'd suggest you try that in your own environment as it
didn't work for me.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

--
Rock River Internet                          Roger Grunkemeyer
202 W. State St, 8th Floor                grunky at rockriver.net
Rockford, IL 61101                           815-968-9888 x102