[nsp] dns forwarding

Christian Kuhtz christian.kuhtz at bellsouth.com
Wed Jul 7 13:39:20 EDT 2004

Maybe I'm missing something here, but a resolver query to, say, 192.168.0.1
isn't a broadcast, guys ;).. Forget the ip helper.

A dedicated NAT/PAT rule is more like it if at all.

Or using a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol server for actual dynamic
configuration ;)... And do away with a hack.

On 7/7/04 1:30 PM, "Eric Pylko" <eric at infinitenetworks.us> wrote:

> The ip helper-address command forwards all sorts of broadcasts.  By default
> it does DHCP and a bunch of others (tftp, dns, time (port 37), tacacs, bootp
> client, bootp server, nb name service, and nb datagram service).  These are
> all UDP ports that it forwards.
>
> If you want to disable those (or enable others) you can do with with "no ip
> forward-protocol" or "ip forward-protocol" as needed.
>
> -Eric
>
> --
> Eric Pylko   eric at infinitenetworks.us
> CCIE #5827   (585) 747-2446

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers. 117