[[nsp] Cisco & Nortel GBIC Compatible

Matti Saarinen mjsaarin at cc.helsinki.fi
Mon Jul 12 03:48:15 EDT 2004

Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> writes:

> There has been rumours about this for a long time, but I have only
> seen key-lock to Cisco-only optics to work on SFP and Xenpaks, never
> GBICs.

 I hope the information I got from the (now ex-) Cisco rep is a
 rumour. Actually, I asked will they support third-party SFPs and the
 answer was no and he also mentioned about plans to key-lock GBICs as
 well.

 At my previous employers network we used third-party GBICs on Cat
 6509 (native IOS) and on Cat 2950 without any problems. On the other
 hand, Cat 2948 didn't accept any other than Cisco GBICs and not even
 all of them.

 Side note: The vendor from which we bought the third-party GBICs said
 that they can manufacture SFPs which will for examaple be recognised
 as Cisco ones by Cisco equipment.

 Cheers,

--
- Matti -