[nsp] Ibgp peer formula

Andrew Lee leea at grnoc.iu.edu
Mon Jul 12 10:07:23 EDT 2004

How many route reflectors to use doesn't have an easy formula.  It really
depends on the size of the network, the geography it covers, and how much
budget there is.  On nationwide networks, one technique I have seen work well
is to divide the country in half, with 2 reflectors in each half (for a total
of 4) and have routers peer with the reflectors in their half.  It is also a
good idea to have dedicated route reflectors, that is, routers that do not pass
production traffic, but simply manage all the peerings and routes.  This would
give you 2 peerings per router with n*2 adjacencies on the network.